What to Bring on Your Brompton
The Brompton was built for adventure – whether it’s cycling through the Peak District, camping in the Pyrénées, or simply a weekend escape from London, you need to make sure you’ve got all the essentials before starting your journey.
Inspired by our design team's journeys on their Bromptons, this is a very comprehensive guide - full of the things we wished we remembered!
- Jersey (ideally merino)
- Bibs – Make sure to practice on long 1-day rides to check that they’re comfortable for many hours first!
- Legwarmers or leggings
- Arm warmers
- Overshoes & gloves
- Waterproof or windproof jacket
- Buff x2 – The most versatile piece of kit there is: ear warmers / sweatbands / sun bandanas / snoods
- Sunglasses – Removeable clear or dark lenses are great to keep the rain out
- Flip flops or trainers – The cheapest trainers in the shop tend to be the most malleable to pack, and the lightest to carry!
- Down gilet or jumper
- 2x underwear, shorts, and a t-shirt – Wash one, wear one & get out of stinky kit at the end of the day
- Swimwear – Can remove the need for underwear! Also great for wild swimming, although you might want to just wear the cycling kit to give it a rinse!
- Brompton Toolkit – Fits inside front frame, ideal!
- Brompton Pump– Fits on rear frame
- Straps or bungee
- Tape & cable ties – Super useful for on-the-fly bodge repairs
- Inner tubes – Shove them inside the mainframe for a neat storage solution
- Card & cash
- Vaseline or chamois cream
- Power – Charger cables, battery pack, dynamo charging light, or solar panel if you’re feeling optimistic
- Garmin or navigation device
- Headphones – In case your riding partner is boring or irritating
- GoPro or easy-access camera phone – Capture memories, have it easy to reach so you don’t miss good snaps just because you can’t be bothered to hunt for the camera
- Hand sanitiser
- Head torch
- Emergency blanket
- Tent or bivvy bag
- Sleeping bag
- Blow-up roll mat
- Cooking equipment (optional)
- Eye mask & ear plugs (optional)
Looking for more inspiration for your Brompton Explore? Check out our Escape the City Guides.