On Saturday, August 1st, Brompton Bicycle, hosted its 10th Brompton World Championship race in Central London as part of the Prudential RideLondon Cycling Festival.
Check out the Official Photos here
Men and Women
The sun shone and nearly 450 colourful Bromptoneers took to the streets for the unique event, which involved a mad dash to unfold their bikes and take on a world famous route that took in iconic sights such as The Mall, St James’s Park and Horse Guards Parade. A truly global event with every continent representing, the race displayed the international pull of the Brompton bike and showed how the bikes are made for cities with the small wheels allowing fast acceleration from the start line, and easy manoeuvring through the course.
The entire day was filled with Brompton-related activities for all, with the launch of the one-off Build and Win competition, the Brompton Urban Challenge across London and the Brompton Trial Site at Somerset House.
Brompton hosted a lively hospitality area on The Mall, where race participants and their guests could relax, listen to live jazz and watch the day’s events unfold while gearing up themselves for the big race at 5pm. It was also a perfect vantage point to watch the race for spectators. Fasted fold competitions were held in earnest throughout the day and G&T’s were sipped as new friends were made and seasoned Bromptoneers met up to show off their bikes and outfits.
After a photo finish Mark Emsley was crowned Brompton World Championship Final winner for the second year in a row, followed closely by Yavor Mitev in second.
Isabel Hastie came first in the female race, with Andrea Scavezzon winning the veterans race. The Brompton Factory Racing Team won the team competition.
The Brompton World Championship is famous for its smartly dressed riders (no lycra allowed) and stylist William Gilchrist judged the ‘Best-Dressed’ Award with Gemma Sanderson and Takayuki Kaneko winning.
The next stages of the BWC series include Bremen, Germany on 16th August and then in the USA, on 25th September as part of the UCI Road World Champs 2015 in Richmond, Virginia. Up to 150 Brompton aficionados will take to the course in Virginia to show the pros how its done, registration is now open with accommodation reserved until 9th August.
Now it is your chance to get involved in our summer of racing events. To celebrate 10 years of the Brompton World Championship we are running a compeition where you can win a Bike that is designed by you! Simply built a bike on our website, save it and enter it into the competition. There are 10 bikes to be won over the 10 weeks, plus 100 limited edition water bottles. Enter now
Official BWC Merchandise - order it now for BWC delivery
Important race day information
Timetable for the day
11:00 BWC competitor bike parking and registration opens in the Brompton hospitality area
15:00 BWC competitor registration closes
16:00 BWC bike grid setup commences
17:00 BWC race starts
18:15 BWC prize giving
20:00 Brompton hospitality area and bike parking closes
• The Brompton hospitality area is located on the Mall in St James’s Park, London – located adjacent to Duke of York Steps on the northern side of The Mall. A special Brompton hospitality area on The Mall is reserved for participants and guests – each rider will be sent one guest pass in their rider pack, which will be sent to you by Monday 20th July.
• Riders and guests must arrive at the Brompton hospitality area from Pall Mall in Westminster, there are no other access points.
• There is room to spectate along the whole of the route.
• This year the BWC final is an eight lap (17km) race around St James’s Park taking in The Mall and passing in front of Buckingham Palace.
• The race will start in quick succession from four seeded groups. Each group will set off one after another at the sounding of a gun.
• There will be the traditional dash to unfold your Brompton and race off round the track. The first rider to complete eight laps will be the overall race winner.
• The race is concluded once the first rider has completed the eight laps. The riders final position will be issued based on number of full laps completed and the time taken to complete them.
• Male, female, veteran (over 50 on the day of the event) and team prizes will be awarded.
• Thanks to our food sponsor Sturmey Archer each rider will be given a voucher in their goody bag to redeem one complimentary food dish and alcoholic drink.
• Guests will receive one complimentary alcoholic drink. Food will also be available for sale.
• We are looking forward to welcoming a range of street food vendors to supply the food along with Meantime Beer and Sipsmith Gin for some refreshing beverages post race.
What is the Brompton World Championship...
The Brompton World Championship Final was first held in Barcelona in 2005. 10 years on there are sixteen satellite events taking place across every corner of the globe including Japan, Korea, USA and Mexico.
We are excited that Brompton Bicycle has added this unique event to the world’s greatest festival of cycling.
The fastest male and female from each event automatically qualifies for the BWC Final. With over 20 countries represented, former pro cyclists and special guests involved, it promises to be quite an occasion.
There will be a number of other Brompton activities running throughout the day with a Brompton demo area outside Somerset House and a hospitality area in St James Park with food, drink and entertainment for the whole family!
Brompton will also be holding the Brompton Urban Challenge London on the same day, this gives you the chance to test your skill, creativity and ingenuity through a variety of fun and exciting challenges across the streets of London!
Find out how to sign up here.
Help us to get ready for the big day by adding your favourite warm up tracks to our collaborative playlist on Spotify here:
Accommodation Offer From Small Luxury Hotels
We have teamed up with SLH to provide a discount to people who wish to stay in London. As the accommodation partner for Brompton World Championships, Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ is pleased to offer Brompton customers an exclusive 10% discount on bookings made at any of our London hotels via SLH for stays between Friday 31 July and Monday 03 August 2015. View the hotels here.
There will also be variety of other activities on the day including a Brompton Urban Challenge, Brompton Bikes available for Hire and hospitality area in St James Park.